Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

What is Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

Disability Living Allowance is a benefit for those who have a disability that means you need help to look after yourself or problems moving around. It is not affected by your savings or income. You can get it on top of other benefits and it may also increase your amount of some other benefits.

If you are pension age, you should apply for Attendance Allowance rather than Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment.

Changes to Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is ending for people who were born after 8th April 1948 and are 16 or over. From age 16 you can claim Personal Independence Payment instead.

Anyone born after 8th April 1948 who is over 16 and receiving DLA will be sent a letter by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) inviting them to claim Personal Independence Payment instead. The letter will tell you what to do next and by when.

Your DLA will end if you don’t claim PIP in time. Your DLA will continue if you were born on or before 8 April 1948.

For more information visit Disability Living Allowance on Gov.uk.

Please remember you must apply for Personal Independence Payment. You will not be reassessed automatically.

The care component

The care component has three rates, depending on if you need help:

  • for some of the day;
  • during the day or night; or
  • during both the day and the night.

The care component of Disability Living Allowance is for those who are physically or mentally ill or disabled and need help with care, or supervision from someone else.

The Mobility Component

The mobility component has two components and is for those who, for example, can’t walk, or have great difficulty walking or need someone with them when walking outdoors.

How do I apply for Disability Living Allowance?

Disability Living Allowance is claimed on a form for the child by a parent or another adult in place of the parent. See the Government website Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children for more details, a form and how to contact them.

Those aged 16 or over need to apply for Personal Independence Payment

Contact Disability Benefits Helpline if you have any enquiries about your existing Disability Living Allowance claim.

End of Life

The Social Security (Special Rules for End of Life) Bill means that people considered by a clinician as having 12 months or less to live can have fast-tracked access to this benefit. The extended fast-track access means those eligible are not subject to a face-to-face assessment, or waiting period, with the majority of individuals receiving the highest rate of those benefits.

Where can I get benefits advice?

You can get benefits advice from a local independent service. They can help guide you through the application process and explain how some benefits may impact upon another:

Other Useful Information

  • Money Advice Service provides online information on the full range of benefits that you may be entitled to.  This also includes where to find more help and advice.
  • The Cinemas Exhibitors’ Association (CEA) Card costs £6 and entitles you to a free ticket for a carer accompanying you to the cinema. You can apply if you receive Disability Living Allowance; Attendance Allowance; Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment or are registered as blind.
  • Turn2us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations.

Last updated: July 9, 2024