Information Now

Noise nuisance

If you have a problem with noise in your neighbourhood you can take action. Your options depend upon the seriousness of the problem.

What can I do about noisy neighbours?

At first, you could make a friendly and informal approach to the people who are responsible for making the noise to try to speak to them about the problem they are causing. They may not be aware that what they are doing is disturbing you. You could also make a joint approach with your other neighbours, if you have talked about it with them and they are having the same problem.

What if I don’t want to approach my neighbours

If you don’t feel comfortable speaking to your neighbour directly, you can contact the the Regulatory Services and Public Protection Department,  by contacting Neighbourhood Helpline. You should keep a diary of the noise problems, so you can remember when the problems have been happening?

What should I do when the noise is happening at night?

Contact Neighbourhood Helpline at Newcastle City Council and ask for ‘noise’. When noise complaints are made by ‘phone or email they are logged. The complaints will be responded to during normal office hours. If you are calling after hours, then ask for Your Local Services and they will take down the details. You may also email. You can also make a complaint about night time noise from licensed premises, such as pubs.

Contact Northumbria Police if your complaint is about serious anti-social behaviour and needs an immediate response.

What happens after I report noise?

After your complaint has been investigated and your neighbours refuse to turn down their noise or it begins again, a fixed penalty fine will be issued. The Neighbourhood Helpline officers may even confiscate equipment. Failure to pay the fixed penalty within 14 days will lead to court proceedings.

Newcastle City Council can seek permission from the courts to destroy equipment, if the noise continues.

If the noise complaints are repetitive and the noise is causing a nuisance you will be offered monitoring.  The Neighbourhood Helpline can arrange to visit to witness the noise problems at a time when it’s likely to take place.

What should I do if I’m still not happy after the Council have been involved?

You can take your own legal action against your neighbours if it has been difficult to resolve the noise problems with the help of the council. This may happen if the noise happens only occasionally and it is difficult to witness it. You can make a complaint direct to the Magistrates’ Court. This action is taken under the Environmental Protection Act 1990,Section 82.

This is a fairly simple inexpensive procedure and you do not need to employ/involve a Solicitor but you can if you wish. Before going to the Court it would be helpful if you can show the Magistrates’ that you have taken the following action;

  • that you have written to the person causing the nuisance advising him/her that you will be taking the matter to the Magistrates’ Court if they do not stop making the noise within a specified period of time, for example, two weeks. Keep a copy of the letter.
  • kept a diary and recorded all noisy events detailing the time the noise starts and stops, its duration and the type of noise and type of interference it causes.

What should I do if my neighbours are students?

If you are having problems with your neighbours and you think that they may be students, the local universities will check this out for you. Contact

The university responsible will investigate the problem and will keep you informed. In certain circumstances, university regulations may be used, although liaison and mediation will usually resolve the problem. Landlords are now required to have an Anti-Social Behaviour Policy for their properties and this will be included in any investigation.

What should I do if I am a council tenant?

You can report anti social behaviour to your social landlord. Contact Your Homes Newcastle or your local Community Housing Office for support and advice.

Last updated: May 14, 2021

Scroll to the top of the page