Information Now

Taking a short break or holiday

Taking a break and having a holiday can do you the world of good. A change of scenery can give you a fresh outlook and help to recharge your batteries; whether it’s a short local break, a trip abroad or a longer holiday going further afield.

Things to think about when booking a holiday or short break

There can be a number of things to think about to help it to run smoothly and you may need to think about extra support and facilities if you have a disability or are caring for someone on the trip. The following checklist should help you with this.

Using a travel agent make sure that any travel agent you use is a member of ABTA, the Travel Association who represent UK travel agents and tour operators. Travel agents who are members display an ABTA symbol in their windows so that you can easily recognise whether they are a member.

Hiring a car if you are planning to hire a car in the UK or abroad, check with the care hire company that you can get insurance cover first. Many companies have restrictions on age and you may find that you can’t get the insurance cover that you want. Visit Age UK for more information.

Passports make sure you have a valid passport for the duration of your stay (see below)

Electronic System for Travel Application (ESTA)  this gives you permission to travel to the US without a Visa.

Visa check if you need one on the GOV.UK website

Travel insurance you don’t have to buy your insurance from the travel company that you book your holiday with. Shop around to make sure that you have the type of insurance that fits your needs and covers all of the activities that you intend to do on your holiday. Buy travel insurance with healthcare cover for your condition. Your EHIC or GHIC will cover medically necessary treatment.

Many companies offer annual travel insurance cover, which might work out cheaper for you, depending on the number of holidays you take each year. If you are travelling in the UK, you may already be covered under your existing home contents insurance.

Organising your own package putting your own ‘package holiday’ together is increasingly popular now. A package holiday is a pre-arranged combination of at least two of the following three elements: transport, accommodation, and other tourist services.

If you are organising your own package and are making bookings over the Internet, you should ensure that you keep a record of all of the relevant booking reference numbers and confirmations that you receive.

Travelling in a group if you are travelling as part of a group, don’t rely on one person to make all of the arrangements in case they fall ill during the planning stages, or are unable to go on the holiday.

Going away for a long time if you’re planning a long stay holiday, check with your local social security office whether any benefits you receive will be affected.

First Aid kit remember to take all your medication and pack it according to the guidance for that country.  Things like insect repellent for mosquitos and midges, sun cream, as well as tweezers for splinters or ticks, plasters and antihistamine cream are all useful.  For further information go to NHS website.

If you are travelling alone single traveller supplements may apply if you take a holiday alone. The majority of hotels price their rooms as doubles or family rooms and don’t reduce their rates if they are occupied by a single person.  However,  Fred Olsen cruises offers more than 200 single cabins across its four ships, avoiding the single person supplement.

Meeting Your Specific Needs

There are several organisations that can provide information and advice about going on a short break or holiday if you are older, disabled, finding mobility a problem or need specific facilities or have care needs.

Age UK has general travel information for older people.

Altogether Travel offers help with travel and holidays including offering care and support and travel companions

Calvert Trust provide outdoor activities, meaningful challenges and adventure holidays in the UK for people with disabilities and their families.

Disabled Access Holidays offers a directory of disabled accessible accommodation.

Disability North offer information on providers for people with a disability and accessible leisure offers.

Enable Holidays offer a range of overseas package holidays with adapted accommodation and tailored for disabled people, their families and friends.

Revitalise is a national charity providing short breaks, respite care and other services for disabled people, visually impaired people and carers.

Holidays with Help provide holidays for people with disabilities and their carers and also specialist respite care breaks.  Blackpool, Weston Supermare and Scarborough.

SAGA Holidays specialise in holidays for people aged 50 years old and over in the UK and abroad.

Smile Holidays is a specialist provider of all inclusive holidays for adults with learning disabilities. With a variety of destinations in England, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote.  They offer a  choice of excursions, attractions, entertainment and fun.

Tailored Leisure Co offers a range of support from online fitness, to Spa breaks to holiday homes and tailored package holidays.

Tourism for All UK provide information to older people and people with disabilities on accessible accommodation and other tourism services such as tour operators.

Travel and mobility

You can request Airport Assistance to travel around the airport if you have a disability or mobility issues.

Passenger Assist is a service available for older and disabled passengers travelling on the rail network. When you contact the train company you’re starting your journey with, they can: arrange assistance. help you on and off trains, reserve wheelchair spaces and seats, provide you with detailed rail information.

AccessAble has virtual travel guides to enable you to check out motorway service accessible facilities.


Travelling Abroad

Going abroad check the Gov.UK website for information about your destination country.  It’s the only place with accurate and up to date information. For instance, covering issues such as vaccines and documents required.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office recommend taking the contact details of the nearest British Consulate (sometimes called UK Embassy) with you, as they could prove invaluable in times of trouble.

TravelHealthPro website provides health information for travellers and details health risks of travelling to all destinations.

Health Advice

Ask your GP about any immunisations that you may need to have at least three months before travelling abroad. Vaccinations can be expensive as not all of them are free on the NHS and several courses of vaccine may be needed.

NHS Fitfortravel website lists the recommended vaccinations you should get for each country. You can also find out more by visiting the NHS.UK.

Health insurance for travel in Europe

If you are travelling in Europe or some Commonwealth countries, you may still use your  European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if it is in date.  Alternatively a  Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) free of charge which lets you get medically necessary state healthcare in Europe at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

Buy travel insurance with healthcare cover for your condition. Your EHIC or GHIC will cover medically necessary treatment.


If you are planning to travel abroad you are required to have a valid UK passport. Well in advance of travelling, check that your passport is valid and in good condition.

Travelling abroad with pets

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) allows cats, dogs and ferrets to travel with their owners to some countries and to re-enter the UK without having to go into quarantine.

For more information, contact your vet or visit

Days out


  • Barking Mad Dog Care provides a dog sitting or dog boarding service as an alternative to kennels. Barking Mad provide Home-from-Home holidays for your dog.

Last updated: August 10, 2022

Scroll to the top of the page