Information Now

Ways to report crime and community safety issues

There are many ways that you can deal with crime or community safety issues. Safe Newcastle is a community safety partnership for Newcastle upon Tyne and there are a number of initiatives to help us keep safe in the City centre and our local communities.

Who to call?

In an emergency, if someone’s life is in danger or if a crime is taking place, dial 999.

If you are worried that you are being stalked or cyber stalked contact 999 or the national helpline 0808 802 0300.

If you have a safeguarding concern contact Community Health and Social Care Direct 0191 278 8377

Reporting anti-social behaviour

To report anti-social behaviour that relates to Newcastle City Council services, call Your Local Services. (This includes problems with rubbish or litter; abandoned vehicles; animal fouling; noise nuisance; smoking in enclosed public places; street lighting; the sale of alcohol to the under-aged or drugs paraphernalia; and vandalism, graffiti and other deliberate damage to public property.

When it’s not an emergency 

During the coronavirus our local Northumbria local police are on the streets. Please report an incident, a crime or non-compliance with the stay safe, stay indoors campaign, use their online reporting tool. Try not to call.

If you need to call, telephone 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text  from your mobile on 07786 200 814 or textphone 1800 101815.

Reporting incidents using the Internet

Northumbria Police operates an online service for the reporting of non-emergency incidents on their website. You can use the online service to notify Northumbria Police if you are the victim or have witnessed any non-emergency incident in the Northumbria area. Providing your own details is not compulsory, but it is essential if you want Northumbria Police to keep you informed on progress with your report.

Hate Crime can be reported anonymously and confidentially. Stop Hate UK is the main place to report hate crime in Newcastle. You can report incidents online, using web chat, text message and video relay for BSL users.

Crimestoppers You can report concerns anonymously to Crimestoppers using their online form or freephone telephone number.  You can give information 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. provides non-judgemental information and advice about crime. You can send information about a crime anonymously using their website. It educates and empowers young people about crime, allowing them to feel Fearless when speaking up against crime.

Staff that can help you

Northumbria Police are actively working towards having an increased police presence on the streets of Newcastle. You may have noticed this in your area, or you may already have regular contact with your local police team.

In recent years, there have been some new roles added to the police force and to the City Council staff team, which may not be familiar to you. Some of these are explained below.

Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs)

Each ward has at least one Police Community Support Officer (PCSOs). Their job is to support the local community to keep the environment safe, protect life and property, maintain peace and prevent crime.  PCSOs play a vital role in the community and are a visible presence on our streets. They are able to offer crime prevention advice and play an important role in preventing anti-social behaviour.

PCSOs don’t have the same powers as police officers, but they can deal with issues such as parking offences, littering, and confiscation of alcohol, amongst others.

If you are unsure of who to contact for crime and community safety issues it may help to visit the Northumbria Police website, which gives details, including photographs, of the staff working in your area.

Communities team

The communities teams are based within the City Council and support the Councillors. If you have a problem or issue they will listen to your concerns.

They are keen to find out your views of the area you live in, so when you see one, don’t be afraid to chat to them and voice your opinion. Your views will help them to improve the safety and environment in your area. For further information, visit the Newcastle City Council website.


Councillors represent each of the wards in the city. They are elected by residents for a period of four years. Councillors help their constituents with problems involving the work of the City Council, which could be related to crime or community safety. To find your local Councillor, visit the wards section of the Newcastle City Council website.

Councillors and Communities Officers work closely together to ensure that local issues and priorities are delivered. One of the ways that they do this is through Ward Committees, which are meetings to inform local residents about issues that are relevant to them and to gain feedback from them about what is happening in their area. You can access the committee meetings and agendas through the wards section of the  Newcastle City Council website.

Safe Newcastle

Safe Newcastle aims to create better lives and stronger communities by reducing crime, anti-social behaviour, alcohol misuse and the supply and use of drugs throughout the city.

The work of Safe Newcastle is led by:

  • Newcastle City Council
  • Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group
  • Northumbria Police
  • National Probation Service
  • Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service and,
  • Community Rehabilitation Company

You can read the current safe action plan here.

Visit safe reporting centres to report a crime or hate crime.

There are also safe places across the City listed in this article for people with Learning disabilities and Autism.

Stalking and cyber stalking

If you are being stalked using social media or by people turning up without your knowledge at your home or work, then you may want to report it to the police or the national stalking helpline.

Reporting emergency situations by telephone but unable to speak

The Silent Police Solution

If you’re in an emergency situation and need police help, but can’t speak, Make Yourself Heard to let the 999 operator know your call is genuine. All 999 calls are directed to call centres where you are asked which service you need. If no service is requested but something suspicious is heard during your call, BT operators will connect you to a police call handler if you can communicate with them using the steps described below:

How to Make Yourself Heard if unable to speak or making a noise would put you or someone else in danger:

  1. Listen to the call handlers questions
  2. Cough or tap the handset if possible
  3. Press 55 if prompted, to let them know your call is genuine. You can then be put through to the police
  4. If calling from a landline the silent solution can’t be used. They will try to ask you questions and get a response from you. If they can’t decide if your call is genuine, the call may be ended. However the call may stay connected for 45 seconds. Pick up the handset again to let the police know your call is genuine. If the call handler is worried about your safety you’ll be connected to your local police. Calling from a landline gives the call handler more information about your location.

Last updated: May 18, 2022

Scroll to the top of the page