Where to get legal advice

There may be times when you need to seek legal advice but would rather not use a solicitor, which can be very expensive. There are other organisations that may be able to offer free advice and information to help you to solve any problems that you are experiencing.

Local legal advice

There are several organisations that provide legal advice in Newcastle.

Citizens Advice Newcastle can give you free, confidential, impartial and independent information and advice on a wide range of subjects. They can work with you to sort out your debt worries and to claim all of the benefits you may be entitled to. They can help with housing and employment problems, or deal with queries about consumer or tax issues. They can also advise on legal matters, answer questions about immigration, and have lots of experience on family and personal matters too.

North East Law Centre provides free confidential legal advice to people on a low income in Newcastle.  Call them to make an appointment, during one of the times below or contact them online. They offer free telephone advice on:

  • Family Law: Monday 10am to 1pm
  • Welfare Benefits: Tuesday 10am to 12pm
  • Education Law: Tuesday 1pm to 2pm
  • Immigration and Asylum Law: Wednesday 1.30pm to 4.30pm
  • Employment Law: Thursday 2pm to 4pm
  • EU Settlement Scheme and complex cases: Friday 10am to 1pm
  • Discrimination Law

The Student Law Office is a legal advice centre where law students deal with cases under the supervision of qualified lawyers. They can offer free independent, confidential advice and representation in many areas of law, including:

  • Employment
  • Housing
  • Consumer
  • Business Advice
  • Family
  • Welfare benefits
  • Crime and Miscarriages of Justice
  • Human Rights
  • Civil
  • Prison Law
  • Charities

Please note that the Student Law Office can only take on cases during the academic year, which is from October to May. Outside of these times, the students are away and they have limited cover. Also, they can not guarantee to be able to take on all cases.

Disability Legal Advice

The Disability Law Service supports people with a disability for free on matters such as community care, welfare benefits and housing as well as employment law and access to work.

Disability Rights UK has legal information relating to Appeals, Acts and the latest Bills through Parliament

Trade Unions

Trade Unions exist to represent the voice and rights of employees. There are a number of unions across the country for different professions and industries.

As a member of a trade union you can access legal advice and representation. Depending on your job you may be a paid member of a union such as:

If you are not yet a member of a trade union The TUC (Trades Union Congress) can help you to find the right trade union for you to represent and support you in the workplace. They have an online trade union finder and a northern office. They also offer training, events and campaigning.

Read more on problems at work on InformationNOW

Finding a Solicitor

The Law Society is the representative body for solicitors in England and Wales. You can use their website to find a solicitor in your area. You can also search by the type of legal advice that you need. They provide online information for the public about common legal issues such as:

  • buying a house
  • dealing with someone’s affairs when they die
  • making a will
  • getting a divorce
  • criminal law

Solicitors for the Elderly is a national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and legal executives, who are committed to providing and promoting robust, comprehensive and independent legal advice for older people, their family and carers. They can provide expert advice in many areas of law including wills and probate, Power of Attorney, housing, and long-term care.

Other sources of legal advice

There are websites that can offer a wide range of advice and information about legal matters. You may wish to read about the subject that you are interested in before seeking advice from a solicitor or other organisation. Citizens Advice website is a good starting point.

Rights of women give free legal advice and information to women on legal issues including: sexual violence, immigration and asylum, divorce, relationship breakdown, child contact, the criminal justice process and sexual harassment at work. They have 4 free telephone helplines.

European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

See the EU Settlement Scheme information and support.

Housing legal advice

Shelter North East have specialist advisers who can provide you with information on your legal rights under housing law. They provide free, confidential and expert advice to support people who are experiencing housing problems. The trained advisers will be able to inform you of your legal rights, explain your options and provide advocacy to help you to liaise with landlords and the local authority etc.

Read more about problems with your neighbours or problems with your landlord or housing issues on InformationNOW

Medical accidents

Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA) provide free independent advice and support to people affected by medical accidents (lapses in patient safety) through their specialist helpline, written casework and inquest support services. They can refer to accredited clinical negligence solicitors if appropriate. They also work in partnership with health professionals, the NHS, government departments, lawyers and, most of all patients, to improve patient safety and justice.

Survivors of abuse

Finding Legal Options for Women Survivors, (FLOWS) offers free legal advice and support to: front-line workers working with women responding to domestic abuse and women who are victims of abuse.

Read more about domestic abuse and local support available on InformationNOW.

Financial help available

Legal Aid

Legal Aid helps with the costs of legal advice for people who can’t afford it. If you need help with the costs of legal advice, you can apply for Legal Aid. Whether you will receive it will depend upon:

  • the type of legal problem you have;
  • your income (how much you earn) and how much capital (money, property, belongings) you have;
  • whether there is a reasonable chance of winning your case and whether it is worth the time and money needed to win.

To find out if you are eligible for legal aid visit www.gov.uk.

Civil Legal Advice can provide you free and confidential legal advice if you’re eligible for legal aid.

Not Eligible for Legal Aid?

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid there are local organisations mentioned above who may be able to help with free advice or put you in touch with your local Law Centre.  You can also visit the national websites below.

  • Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing helpful information on rights and legal issues for the general public. They provide an information service which draws together the best information available and produce their own guides.
  • Law Centres Network can help you to find legal help in your local area. All Law Centres offer face-to-face legal advice to local residents, and some run a telephone advice line. Some Law Centres also provide advice to community groups on issues such as legal structure and governance.

The information on this website is for general guidance on your rights and responsibilities and is not legal advice. If you need more details on your rights, or legal advice about what action to take, please contact an adviser or solicitor.

Support through the court process

Support Through Court do not provide legal advice but do offer support and guidance before, during, and after court. They ensure that those facing court alone feel prepared and supported in accessing justice.

Other useful information

Last updated: May 8, 2024