Information Now

Worried about becoming homeless?

If you may have to leave your home or if you are under threat of eviction there is help and support available to you.

I’m worried that I may become homeless or I am homeless?

The first thing you should do is to contact Newcastle City Council’s Housing Advice Centre. Staff at the Housing Advice Centre aim to prevent homelessness by helping you to maintain your existing accommodation, or by finding you alternative accommodation.

Newcastle City Council has a legal duty to provide advice and assistance free of charge to you if you are homeless or are ‘threatened with homelessness’. Threatened with homelessness means that you are going to become homeless within 28 days and there is nothing you can do about it. For example, if you have a notice from the court saying that your home is going to be repossessed in four weeks.

Newcastle City Council decide who is vulnerable and needs assistance. They usually accept people who are over retirement age as being vulnerable due to their age. For more information please visit

If you are still experiencing difficulties you can contact;

Shelter North East provides free and confidential support and advice to people who are homeless or badly housed. If necessary, they can also arrange interpreting services and home visits. They also have a free national housing advice helpline.

Oasis Aquila Housing is a charity which works with homeless and vulnerably housed people. They support people in emergency situations to help establish their independence. They have a number of specialised projects including: 24 Hour supported accommodation projects for young people; Housing and support services for vulnerable families; and services and accommodation for homeless people.

Crisis Skylight Newcastle offer a wide range of activities and accredited courses, as well as advice and support to help people into a home, training and employment.

Crisis also run a join project with DePaul called Nightstop. This project provides emergency accommodation for homeless people over 16 in the homes of volunteer hosts on a night by night basis. Drop in to the Crisis Centre on Tuesdays from 9.30am to 4pm.

Women’s Refuges

Women’s refuges are for women who have to leave home because of violence or threats of violence, usually from a partner or ex-partner, or from a forced marriage. Refuges generally aren’t able to house women who are suffering from neighbourhood harrassment. If this is the case, see our Neighbourhood problems section for information.

Women’s refuges are usually ordinary houses that are shared by women and children. Women do not have to go to a refuge in their own area, and the address of a refuge is kept secret to protect women from violent partners. The staff can help with claiming benefits and helping you to find more permanent housing. Contact Newcastle Women’s Aid if you need this kind of assistance.

Other Useful Information

Last updated: February 6, 2019

Send us a comment about this page