Information Now

EU Settlement Scheme

The European Union Settlement Scheme requires all non-UK and non-Irish European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals to apply to stay in the UK after Brexit. The Scheme will be open for applications until 30 June 2021.

The EUSS is an online only application process requiring applicants to submit proof of nationality, proof of UK residency and to declare any criminal convictions. EEA countries includes all members of the EU as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Applicants will need to show five years continuous residency in the UK to be granted settled status. Those who have been in the UK for less than 5 years will be granted pre-settled status. They will then be eligible for settled status after 5 years.

EU citizens with settled status or pre-settled status retain their rights to work in the UK, use the NHS, enrol in education or continue studying, access public funds such as benefits and pensions if eligible.

3.2 million people have already secured their right to stay under the Settlement Scheme and in Newcastle there are organisations who can help you:

There are 26 translations of the information and guidance on the Gov.UK website.

Last updated: July 23, 2020

Send us a comment about this page