Information Now

Minor Injuries Units

What is a Minor Injury Unit?

Minor Injuries Units are for patients with injuries such as sprains, cuts and grazes. The waiting times are generally much shorter than at Accident and Emergency, where staff have to give priority to serious and life-threatening conditions.  You will see a nurse practitioner who is trained to assess and treat a wide range of minor injuries and ailments.

When should I use a Minor Injury Unit?

You can use a minor injury unit if you have suffered a minor injury or ailment such as

Minor injuries:

  • Shoulder injuries
  • Elbow and below
  • Knee and below
  • Minor head injuries
  • Facial injuries
  • Cuts / bruises / sprains

Minor ailments:

  • Earache
  • Aches and pains
  • Emergency contraception

How Do I Use the Minor Injuries Unit?

Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) Minor Injuries Unit is the Minor Injuries Unit in Newcastle. You can go to the unit and use without an appointment. They are open open from 8:00am to 9:00pm, 7 days a week.

Alternatives to Minor Injuries Unit

If you are unable to visit a minor injury unit you could

Other Useful Organisations

  • NHS 111 is the new telephone service which has replaced NHS Direct. You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.
  • NHS.UK is a website providing health and medicines information and you can search for local services.

Please note – The content on this website is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. If you are feeling unwell, make an appointment to see your GP or contact NHS 111. In an emergency, dial 999.

Last updated: July 2, 2020