Civil Legal Advice offers specialist advice to those on a lower income or benefits and can help with the following issues:
- debt, if your home is at risk
- housing, if you’re homeless or at risk of being evicted
- domestic abuse
- separating from an abusive partner, when you’re making arrangements for children or sorting out money and property
- a child being taken into care
- special education needs
- some child abduction cases
Legal aid can help meet the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in a court or tribunal.
You’ll usually need to show that:
- your case is eligible for legal aid
- the problem is serious
- you can’t afford to pay for legal costs
You can check to see if you are eligible for free legal advice on their website.