Security For Your Vehicle
A lot of crime is against cars, motorbikes and bicycles; either the theft of them, or from them. Most of this crime can be prevented by following some simple tips, which are detailed in this section.
Tips for vehicle security
- When you leave your car always lock the doors, close the windows and remove your stereo, if you can; even if it’s just for a short amount of time.
- Don’t leave anything on display in your car; even a jacket can seem like an appealing target for a thief as it could contain valuables in the pockets.
- Don’t keep documents in your car.
- Try to park in a car park that has ‘secured car park’ accreditation. Accredited car parks will display a sign, or you can find your local one on the Park Mark: Safer parking website.
- When you leave your bicycle, lock it to something secure, such as a lamppost, or use a bike rack.
Other useful information
- Age UK’s guide Staying Safe
- Fearless.org provides non-judgemental information and advice about crime. You can send information about a crime anonymously using their website. It educates and empowers young people about crime, allowing them to feel Fearless when speaking up against crime.
Last updated: June 10, 2021