There are two types of taxis in Newcastle; Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles.

Hackney carriages do the same type of work as private hire vehicles, but there are differences in the way that they are able to work. Hackney carriages are allowed to stand at taxi ranks waiting for customers. They can also stop in the street to pick you up if you attract their attention.

Private hire vehicles are not allowed to do this, as all of their journeys must be pre-booked by contacting the company’s operating centre. It is important for private hire drivers to stick to these rules, as their vehicle insurance is invalid if they make a journey that is not pre-booked.

Where can I find Hackney carriage ranks in Newcastle?

There are ranks at the following locations:

  • Carliol Square
  • Grey Street
  • Melbourne Street
  • New Bridge Street West
  • Newcastle Central Station, Neville Street (outside Royal Station Hotel)
  • Holiday Inn, New Bridge Street
  • Newgate Street
  • Osborne Road, Jesmond
  • Percy Street
  • Pilgrim Street
  • Quayside
  • St. Mary’s Place
  • St Nicholas Street
  • Stowell Street

The full list is available on the Newcastle City Council website with times.

If you have left property in a Hackney Carriage in Newcastle please call Northumbria Police on 0191 2146555.  If you have a query regarding Hackney Carriage Drivers please call the Licensing Office on 0191 2783864.

What about private hire vehicles?

There are many private hire companies throughout Newcastle. You will be able to find details of those nearest to you in the Yellow Pages.

You may want to try a few firms to find one that suits you best, for instance, there are some that can provide assistance, services and facilities for older people or people with mobility problems. Examples of these are:

Please note that the above are just a suggestion and we are not giving them our personal recommendation.

What can I do if I’m not happy with the service?

There may be times when you are not happy with an aspect of your journey, due to, for instance:

  • the driver’s behaviour;
  • unsafe driving;
  • the driver not taking the most direct route; or
  • the meter apparently being wrongly set, so you feel that you have been overcharged.

If so, you should contact the taxi operator and make a complaint. If you are not satisfied with their response, you can take your complaint to the Licensing Department at Newcastle City Council. It will be helpful to have details of the taxi licence number, which is usually displayed both inside and outside of the taxi.

See Newcastle City Council’s Taxi Passenger Information page for more details.

Nexus TaxiCard Scheme – Accessible transport

If you have mobility problems you may be eligible for the Nexus TaxiCard Scheme which can help to pay for your taxi journeys in Tyne and Wear.

Last updated: April 27, 2021