It is a good idea to find out what your healthy weight should be. Your healthy weight will vary depending on your height and gender, and also on your build. You can use an online tool such as the NHS Body Mass Indicator (BMI) to check if your weight is a healthy one for you.
Why should I manage my weight?
Being over weight can really affect your health and wellbeing. It can put strain and stress on your joints and inhibit your ability to move easily and take part in activities. It can create or worsen other health conditions including:
More information about weight problems can be found on the NHS.UK.
Read the InformationNOW guide on health eating and drinking.
Weight Loss Plans
Oviva Weight Management helps people living with obesity to manage their weight. In this 12 week programme, your coach will work with you to be more confident managing your health and help you to lead a healthier, happier lifestyle. If you are registered with a GP practice in Newcastle, complete the online form and one of the Oviva team will call you to organise your first phone appointment. The programme offers
- 1 to 1 support
- information about healthy eating
- peer group chats
- an app to manage your journey
The NHS has a free online weight loss plan, which is designed to help you lose weight safely and keep it off.
The weight loss plan features:
- promotes safe and sustainable weight loss
- learn to make healthier food choices
- get support from an online community
- a weekly progress chart (view sample PDF, 545kb)
- exercise plans to help you lose weight
- learn skills to prevent weight regain
The plan is designed to help you lose weight at a safe rate of 0.5kg to 1kg (1lb to 2lb) each week by sticking to a daily calorie allowance.
Local Help and Support
Ways to Wellness service helps people in the West of Newcastle to manage their long-term health conditions, through activities such as:
- getting involved in local groups and activities
- accessing specialist services and support
- healthy eating and getting more active
- getting support around benefits and welfare rights
Healthworks can support you to lead a healthier life; from being more active, to eating healthily, giving up smoking, managing diabetes and improving your mobility.
More information about things you can do to improve your fitness can be found on the following articles on Information Now:
- Benefits of being physically active
- 10 Tips for Good Health
- Healthy Eating and Drinking
- Giving up Smoking
- Swimming Pools in Newcastle
- Leisure Centres in Newcastle
Last updated: February 18, 2022