Please note: owing to the position on Covid 19 and the Coronavirus, some organisations and venues will be closed, some will deliver their services differently. You can find the organisation website address on InformationNOW and visit their site for updates.
The Learning Disabilities and Autism Team is part of Newcastle Adult Services. They are made up of social workers and two floating Support workers. They help adults with learning disabilities and/or autism and their carers.
There are a number of ways in which they can help. They can:
• Arrange assessments of need under the Care Act for both adults with learning disabilities and/or autism and their carers, either combined or separate assessments
• Plan support with adults and carers with eligible needs
• Signpost adults and carers who do not have eligible needs to other services
• Monitor whether support has been implemented for the people as directed
• Liaise with other professionals who have been asked to support their clients
• Work to safeguard adults with learning disabilities and/or autism and those they are connected to, under Newcastle Safeguarding Adults Board policies and procedures.
• Work with colleagues in Children’s Services, education and health to obtain smooth transition for young people with learning disabilities and/or autism transitioning to Adult Services.
• Promote the rights of people with learning disabilities and/or autism in accordance with the Mental Capacity Act and European Convention of Human Rights
How to refer in:
If you are not already in receipt of any support from Newcastle City Council Learning Disabilities and Autism Team please contact Social Care Direct on 0191 278 8377.
If you already receive support from their team any enquiries can go to the Learning Disability and Autism Team “on- call” workers on 0191 278 8100.
Adult Social Care Direct
LD &A team, applicable if you already receive support
Fax: 0191 278 8188
Textphone: 0191 278 8266
Newcastle upon Tyne
Last updated: February 26, 2018