Carers assessments

What is a Carers Assessment?

As a carer you may be entitled to a Carers assessment. It is carried out to see what support might be available to you, to help you look after yourself and the person you care for. It does not assess your ability to care for someone.

If you provide or intend to provide care and support to someone over 18 living in Newcastle and you appear to need support in relation to your caring role, you should be offered a carers assessment by Newcastle City Council. If you are not offered an assessment, you should ask for one.

Why might I need support as a carer?

Caring for someone can be stressful. You may find that you experience a wide range of conflicting emotions; feelings of isolation, guilt, anger or depression are common. Having extra support, a chance for a break, someone to talk to about how you feel can make all of the difference.

It’s really important to take care of yourself so that you can continue to support the person you care for. Read more about Looking after someone.

What happens during a Carers Assessment?

A carers assessment offers you the chance to tell the Council about your caring role and the impact caring for someone has on your own health and wellbeing. It focuses on your needs and covers a number of areas such as

  • your feelings
  • your choices about caring
  • work, study and training,
  • leisure and social activities
  • relationships
  • housing
  • planning for emergencies.

A carers assessment is usually carried out by a social worker. This could be the social worker working with the person you care for or a social worker from a specialist team

You are usually assessed alongside the adult you provide care and support to. This helps the social worker to understand the whole situation and identify ways in which they can support you and the person you are caring for.

You can ask for a separate assessment , even if the person you provide care and support to does not want or has not had an assessment from the Council.

Preparing for a Carers assessment

To prepare for your assessment, it might be helpful for you to make a list of everything you do to help the person you give care and support to. Some things you may want to think about are:

  • Do you get enough sleep?
  • Do you eat well?
  • Is your health affected by caring?
  • Can you leave the person you are looking after?
  • Are you worried about having to give up work?
  • Do you get enough time to yourself?

You might also include how caring affects you because of your:

  • Age
  • Health
  • Work or study (or if you are looking to work or study)
  • Other activities or commitments

Support that may be available

Following a carers assessment the Council will decide if you are eligible for support. This could be provided to you or the person you are looking after to reduce the impact caring has on you.

All carers, (even if you are not considered to be eligible for support) will be provided with information and advice on local services to prevent your needs worsening.

How to get a Carers assessment

Contact Community Health & Social Care Direct to request a Carers Assessment.

The assessment is about you so the person you care for does not need to be present. It can be carried out in your own home or in private and away from the person you care for, if you would prefer to do this.

If after having an assessment your situation changes and you need more support, you can ask for a re-assessment.

Other Useful Information

  • Carers assessments section of the NHS.UK website
  • Carers UK have more information on how carers assessments will be carried out and how carers can access practical support.
  • Carers Information Booklet A booklet has been produced called  ‘A short guide to being a Carer in Newcastle’ which includes useful information about services available for carers. You can request a copy of the booklet by contacting Newcastle City Council, Carers Lead Officer, Fiona Richardson on 0191 2777452 or email

Care Act

The Care Act 2015 means that carers have more rights than before. Read more on Carers Rights from GOV.UK.

Accessible Information Standard

If you have a sensory loss or disability you are entitled by law to accessible information about your health care and support from the NHS and publicly funded social care services. For example this could include large print or a professional BSL interpreter at medical appointments.

Services must:

  • Find out your information needs
  • Record them in a set way
  • Highlight them in your records so that staff meet your needs every time you use services
  • Share your information needs with other services e.g. if you give details to your GP then these can be shared with any hospital service you maybe referred to
  • Make sure you get support the way you need including when your needs vary. For example you may need to receive short letters in large print but need longer documents on audio.
  • Ask on a regular basis if your needs have changed

Remember – tell services this is your right to have your needs addressed and they have to do this by law (section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012)

Last updated: October 20, 2022