Information Now

Incapacity Benefit

Incapacity Benefit has been replaced by Employment Support Allowance.

You can no longer make a new claim for Incapacity Benefit.  If you are unable to work due to sickness or disability you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) instead.

If you currently claim Incapacity benefit you will be invited to apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

Where to get benefits advice

It can be useful to speak with someone about the benefits you may be entitled and how they may impact upon your other benefits. A local independent advice service can help guide you through the application process such as;

There are more benefit advice services in Newcastle. To find your local service please visit

Last updated: August 13, 2018

Send us a comment about this page