How to pay for adaptations to your home

If you’re finding it harder to do things at home you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant. This grant can pay for adaptations to your home and equipment to enable you to live as independently and as comfortably as possible.

For example you may find it difficult to:

  • climb the stairs
  • get in and out of the bath
  • prepare food

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant from Care & Repair Newcastle at Newcastle City Council. It is used to pay for essential adaptations to your home, including improving:

  • access to your home: e.g. widening doors and installing ramps
  • access inside your home: e.g. installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom or wet room
  • heating and lighting controls
  • or provide a specially adapted room where you can be comfortable and manage things without needing help

See Equipment and Aids for more details on different types of adaptations and support available.

Can I apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

You may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant if you or someone you live with is disabled and is

  • the home owner or a tenant
  • and you intend to live in your home during the grant period (which is currently 5 years)

How much may I receive?

How much you may receive depends on your finances and if you receive certain benefits. If you are on a low income, the grant may cover all or some of the costs of the work.

To find out if you need to contribute to the cost of support, the council will carry out a means test.

Contact the Care & Repair Newcastle team for more information.

Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant

If you think you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant, you must have your needs assessed by an occupational therapist from Community Health & Social Care Direct. You can contact them directly or you can be referred by your GP or carer.

They can also offer advice and support to help you.

Your Homes Newcastle tenants should first contact their Adaptations Team.

What if I’m not eligible for a grant?

If you’re not eligible for a disabled facilities grant, there are other services that can help you with:

  • paying for adaptations to your home privately
  • buying the right equipment for you
  • borrowing equipment
  • hiring equipment
  • grants or funding to buy equipment
  • support at home
Please visit our article Home adaptations, equipment and aids for other services and support that may be available to you.

Financial help from charities

Citizens Advice Newcastle has information on charities that can offer financial help to former employees from a particular trade who are struggling to pay for the items they need.

The Royal British Legion or SSAFA Forces Help or ABF The Soldiers’ Charity may be able to help pay for equipment and adaptations if you are a veteran.

Check you’re claiming benefits that you are entitled to

There are various disability-related benefits that may be available to you including:

See for more information.

A local independent advice service can help you find out about the benefits you may be entitled to including:

Other useful information

The Council has provided the Legal & General links for information purposes only. Please note that the Council neither recommends nor endorses any products or services accessed via these links. For full details, please see their website advertising statement 

Last updated: August 31, 2022