Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is a tax free payment to help older people keep warm during winter. It is provided by the government to those who are eligible.  You could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills.

Am I eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment?

You are eligible if you:

  • were born on or before 26 September 1955
  • lived in the UK for at least one day during the week of 20 to 26 September 2021 – this is called the ‘qualifying week’

It’s not means tested and you can get it if you’re still working or claiming a benefit. Find out more about your eligibility on GOV.UK.

How do I apply for Winter Fuel Payment?

If you have received a Winter Fuel Payment previously, you should automatically receive your payment from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that pays your other benefits. You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension in November or December.

You need to claim your Winter Fuel Payment if either of the following apply:

  • you don’t get benefits or a State Pension
  • you only get Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Child Benefit or Universal Credit

You can contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre for more information or to make a claim by phone, by email, Relay UK, video relay or by post and you must get the first claim in by 31 March each year. To ensure you receive your payment before Christmas, submit your claim before the qualifying week (as above).

You will need to know:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your bank or building society details
  • your BIC and IBAN numbers if you live in the EEA or Switzerland
  • the date you were married or entered into a civil partnership (if appropriate)
  • where you were on the qualifying dates in September

How much may I receive?

The amount of Winter Fuel Payment you receive will depend on your situation. To find out how much you will get visit Gov.UK.

You may still be able to get Cold Weather Payment or  Warm Home Discount Scheme, even if you do not qualify for Winter Fuel Payment.

When will I receive my payment?

Most payments are made between November and December. You will receive a notification letter and this will give you a more specific payment date.

If you have not received your payment by end of January contact the Winter Fuel Payment Centre.

My circumstances have changed, what should I do?

If you have received a Winter Fuel Payment previously and your circumstances have changed, you should inform The DWP. For example if you will not be living at home during the Winter months but will be in:

  • hospital getting free in-patient treatment
  • a residential care home or Ilford Park Resettlement Home
  • custody serving a court sentence

Where can I get benefits advice?

It can be useful to speak with someone about the benefits you may be entitled to and how they may impact upon your other benefits. A local independent advice service can help guide you through the process such as:

Last updated: May 24, 2024