Carers Wellbeing Fund
What is the Carers Wellbeing Fund?
Newcastle Carers manage the Carers Wellbeing fund. If you care for someone who lives in Newcastle upon Tyne, the Carers Wellbeing Fund may be able to provide a small grant to help you as a carer. The fund is intended to support carers in need and to improve their own health and wellbeing.
Who is a carer?
A carer is someone who provides unpaid care and support to a family member, partner, child, friend or neighbour who cannot manage without the carer’s support. The person you care for may have:
- a disability or illness
- mental health difficulties,
- alcohol or drug related problems
You may not realise that you are a carer. See looking after someone for more information.
Who can apply to the Carers Wellbeing Fund?
You can apply for the fund if you are:
- an unpaid carer
- over 18
- and the person you care for lives in Newcastle upon Tyne
Carers and/or the people they care for do not have to have be engaged with Council Social care services or have had a statutory carer’s assessment to apply.
You will need a supporting statement from a professional, for example, a support worker, social worker, employer who knows the carer in their caring role.
Carers may apply every 12 months.
What can I apply for?
You can apply for a small grant for something that will improve your health and wellbeing. This could be:
- a holiday or weekend break in the UK
- college course fees, books or equipment
- gym membership, exercise classes, swimming sessions
- driving lessons
- buying items for an activity or hobby such as a tent or a bicycle
- household items such as a washing machine, a cooker or a fridge
- garden maintenance
How do I apply to the Carers Wellbeing Fund?
Where to get benefits advice in Newcastle
It can be useful to speak with someone about the benefits you may be entitled to and how they may impact upon your other benefits. A local independent advice service can help guide you such as;
- Citizens Advice Newcastle (CAN)
- Newcastle Welfare Rights Service – have self help material on their website.
Visit newcastle.gov.uk for more benefit advice services available across Newcastle.
Financial support available to carers
Find out more about other financial support available in our article on looking after someone.
Last updated: March 15, 2022