Information Now

Looking after someone

Caring for someone during coronavirus.  Read more on looking after yourself and the person you care for on

Who is a carer?

A carer is someone who provides unpaid help and support to a family member, parent, friend, partner, child or neighbour who could not manage without their help.  This applies to children, young carers and adults looking after an adult.

The person you care for may have a disability, a physical or mental illness, be frail, or have alcohol or drug-related problems.

On the whole, neither adults, young carers and children see themselves as carers, but rather as family members or friends simply looking after someone. If you are a carer, you may be able to get financial and practical support from the Council, health services and voluntary organisations.

You may also find that your responsibilities are affecting the way you live your own life. It is important to remember that, even though you are caring for someone else, you need to take care of yourself too.

Support for Carers

Caring for someone can be stressful. You may find that you experience a wide range of conflicting emotions; feelings of isolation, guilt, anger or depression are common. Having someone to talk to about how you feel can make all of the difference.

Emotional support

  • Talk to the key workers involved with the person you care for, for example their social worker, doctor, community or district nurse..
  • Newcastle Carers can help adults, children and young people with information, advice and support. They run various support groups for carers, offering a chance to take a needed break, meet people in similar situations who can understand and get helpful information.
  • If you care for someone with Dementia, dementia cafes are a supportive environment in which people with dementia and their carers can socialise.

Look after your health

When you are caring for someone else, it is very easy to forget about your own health. However, it is important to look after yourself so that your own health doesn’t suffer.

  • Let your doctor know that you are a carer and how it affects your health. Ask for this information to be noted on your medical record, so that your doctor can provide you with suitable help.
  • Let your school know that you have caring responsibilities that may affect your work, attendance and ability to concentrate.
  • Healthy eating and drinking and Keeping physically active are important to help you take care of yourself
  • If you know someone who has been discharged from the Newcastle Hospitals NHS Trust then you should be referred as a carer to Newcastle Carers  on 0191 275 5060, or email  The role is more diverse than this though, as it aims to help reduce readmission and get the best out of hospital based services.  You can also email

Take a break

Caring can be rewarding, but it can also bring stress and strains, and you may need the opportunity to take a break. You may need someone else to be with the person you care for when you have a break.  Some carers make arrangements with family, neighbours or friends so that they can take a break. Another option is to employ a Personal Care Assistant or use a homecare agency to provide home care.

Community Health & Social Care Direct may be able to arrange support for the person you care for, so that you can have a break. This could be a sitting service at home, somewhere to go during the day or a short respite stay in an appropriate setting.

Residential Care Homes in Newcastle gives a directory of care homes including those that offer respite to free up your time as a carer.

Home care in Newcastle gives a directory of home care providers that may offer a sit in service to offer respite.

Newcastle Emergency Carer’s Card Scheme can arrange for planned support  to allow carers to attend personal appointments. They also offer a range of support at home services. This is provided by British Red Cross in partnership with Newcastle City Council.

Newcastle Carers offer a Complementary Therapy service to carers who they feel would benefit from this to help them through a very stressful time in their caring role that is affecting their health and wellbeing.  Have a look at their booklet looking after you

Be informed

Most carers learn how to look after someone by trial and error and by relying on their common sense. However, advice and training is often available from organisations including:

The following articles on this site may also be helpful:

Your rights as a carer

Carers UK produce a Carers Rights Guide, which includes information on:

  • Benefits and other financial help: including help with council tax, fuel costs, pensions and health costs
  • Practical help: including carer’s assessments and direct payments
  • Technology: information about health and care technology that could make life easier
  • Your workplace: your rights at work, from flexible working and parental leave to protection from discrimination
  • Other help: how to find other help nationally and in your local community

Making decisions on someone’s behalf

If you are a carer, you might need to manage someone else’s affairs or make decisions on their behalf. If this is the case, you may find the following topics useful to read:

Carers UK have a series of factsheets with top tips from carers on managing health matters, power of attorney, and dealing with services from banks to utility providers.

Financial support for carers

Carers assessments

You should be offered a free Carers assessment by Newcastle City Council if you care for someone over 18 living in Newcastle. If you are not offered an assessment, you should ask for one.

A carers assessment is usually carried out by a social worker and offers you the opportunity to tell the Council about your caring role and the impact caring for someone is having on your own health and wellbeing.

Following your assessment, the Council will decide if you are eligible for support. This can be provided to you or the person you are looking after to reduce the impact caring has on you.

All carers, (even if you are not considered to be eligible for support) will be provided with information and advice on local services that can help to support you.

Contact Community Health & Social Care Direct to request a Carers Assessment.

Paying for help and support – Direct payments

Depending on the outcome of your carers assessment, you may be eligible for a Direct Payment from the Council, also known as a carer’s personal budget.

This is a cash payment that enables you to pay for something that can help you in your caring role – for example, to pay for respite care, or for membership to a club that gives you time away from your caring role.

The Council may or may not charge you for carer’s services, depending on the support you need. However if they do decide to charge you they must carry out a financial assessment to determine how much you would need to contribute.

Benefits for carers

Caring for someone can be expensive. You may have given up work to be a carer, or the person you care for may have been the main breadwinner in the past. You may find yourself with less money to spend but more to pay out, for example, on heating bills, equipment or prescriptions.

You may be eligible to receive certain benefits depending on your situation. These could include:

Carer’s Credit

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps carers build up qualifying years for their State Pension.

To qualify for Carer’s Credit you must care for a total of 20 hours or more per week. The person you care for must receive:

  • Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate; or
  • Attendance Allowance at any rate; or
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at any rate

If none of these apply, Carer’s Credit can still be awarded if you supply a Care Certificate that is signed by a health or social care professional.

Benefits advice

It is worth seeking advice about your benefits before you make a new claim, as this can sometimes affect the benefits you already receive. Organisations that can help include:

See Benefits for Carers an article from NHS.UK for more information.

Carers Wellbeing fund

You can apply for a small grant of up to £200 from The Carers Wellbeing Fund to pay for things that help to improve your health and wellbeing as a carer.  The fund is currently open for applications.

Ask Newcastle Carers about support for young carers to study, work or participate in an apprenticeship.

Young Carer 6th Form Bursary Scheme

Young adult carers can apply for a bursary of £300 per year to help with the costs associated with caring while in education. This funding is available to help you reach your full potential. Newcastle City Council has allocated funding to the Young Carer 6th Form Bursary Scheme for the next 2 academic years.

Employing a care worker

If you need a bit of extra help you might want to employ a care worker to help with your caring responsibilities. You can either go through a home care agency or you can employ an individual care worker directly.

Employing an independent care worker requires more initial organising, but it is often a cheaper option than using a home care agency, and also means that the same person will provide the care each time.

Workplace Pensions for care workers

The law has changed so now every employer must now provide a workplace pension by April 2019. Whether you’re a hairdresser, an architect or employ a personal care assistant, if you employ at least one person you are an employer and you will need to set up a workplace pension for them.

The National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) is a government scheme to help people who don’t have an existing workplace pension.

It’s an ideal workplace pension scheme for small employers, especially for individuals who hire their own carers or assistants, because it’s free to sign up to NEST and there is no ongoing administration.

Disability North can support you with arranging a workplace pension and other administrative duties for your employed care staff. They can also support you with recruiting a Personal Care and Support Assistant and advertise Personal Assistant vacancies on your behalf.


If you are caring for someone and want to combine paid work with your caring responsibilities, there is a variety of help available from Jobcentre Plus including:

  • training, guidance and work placement programmes
  • work experience, volunteering and job trialling schemes
  • help with starting your own business
  • help combining work with looking after children or caring responsibilities
  • extra help for specific problems

Visit or contact your local Jobcentre Plus office for more information.

Newcastle Carers offers support to anyone who may face barriers to returning to work or education.

Emergency help

Carers Emergency Contact Scheme is a free service, so the person you care for can be looked after if you have a personal crisis such as, an illness, accident or emergency.  Your plan is kept safe and available in an emergency. You are given:

  • help to write your emergency contact plan so they know what support the person you care for needs.
  • a card to carry so other people and emergency services, know you’re a carer and someone relies on you

In an emergency, your plan can be put into action. Even if you already have an emergency plan with a friend, relative or neighbour, it’s a good idea to register online for the Carers Emergency Card Scheme.

British Red Cross run the scheme which is funded by Newcastle City Council

Emergency Duty Team

If you need urgent help with social care during the evening or at weekends, you can contact the Emergency Duty Team at Adult and Children’s Social Care on telephone: 0191 278 7878.

Useful Organisations

  • Carers UK
  • Carers Direct Helpline is available if you need help with your caring role and want to talk to someone about what options are available to you.
  • The Relative Experience Project gives help and support to Kinship Carers – grandparents and their family members who are bringing up a relative’s child, often in very difficult circumstances.
  • HOOP is an independent, free service providing advice and information for older people, their families and carers about housing and care options in later life.
  • Props North East offer a carer support service to people affected by alcohol, drug or addiction problems.
  • Barnardo’s is a children’s charity that run over 1,000 services in local communities, and support around 300,000 children, young people and families every year. This includes support for young carers.

Other Useful Information

Being Heard; a guide to self-advocacy for carers – Free guide from Carers UK

Caring from a distance – factsheet from the Age Action Alliance to help those who care for someone who lives far away.

Carersmart is a discount club run by Carers Trust. It is free to sign up and you can get benefits including:

  • cashback on shopping
  • discounts on holidays
  • free legal advice
  • best rates from energy providers

Accessible Information Standard

If you have a sensory loss or disability you are entitled by law to accessible information about your health care and support from the NHS and publicly funded social care services. For example this could include large print or a professional BSL interpreter at medical appointments.

Services must:

  • Find out your information needs
  • Record them in a set way
  • Highlight them in your records so that staff meet your needs every time you use services
  • Share your information needs with other services e.g. if you give details to your GP then these can be shared with any hospital service you maybe referred to
  • Make sure you get support the way you need including when your needs vary. For example you may need to receive short letters in large print but need longer documents on audio.
  • Ask on a regular basis if your needs have changed

Remember – tell services this is your right to have your needs addressed and they have to do this by law (section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012)

Read more from NHS England about the Accessible Information Standard.

Last updated: May 19, 2022

Scroll to the top of the page