Dealing with rubbish and pests
If you are bothered by pests such as mice, rats, pigeons, insects or wild cats in your home or garden Envirocall – Newcastle City Council can help you. The team deals with pest control in all domestic homes in Newcastle.
They offer the following services:
- rodent control
- insect control
- free insect identification service
- free survey and estimate with no obligation
- free professional advice on pest control and prevention
- supply and service of EFK (Electronic Fly Killer) equipment
- bird proofing (including anti-perch spike systems, netting and cleaning service)
If you are having trouble with rats, they will deal with them free of charge. However, there will be a charge for treatment of other pests, such as bees, wasps, ants, cockroaches and fleas, unless you are a Your Homes Newcastle tenant. You will be told if any charges are involved before the work starts.
How to report a problem to Pest Control
If the problem is with:
- your house or property: report your problem and request a visit from Envirocall – Newcastle City Council.
- your council house or tenancy: report problems to Your Homes Newcastle or at your local Community Housing Offices
- someone else’s house or property: contact Public Safety and Regulation – Newcastle City Council.
What happens after I report a problem?
Envirocall will arrange to visit you. You can expect them to:
- provide a discreet service (their vehicles are not identified as belonging to pest control);
- visit you at the appointment time and date that they have agreed with you;
- assess your problem and take the necessary course of action;
- give you advice on protecting your premises against future infestation; and
- supply you with fact sheets on all common pests.
You can read more about the service they provide on the Newcastle City Council website.
Assisted Lift Service
One of the household tasks that you may struggle with is moving your wheeled bin to and from the collection area. This could be due to your age, a health problem or a disability.
If you don’t have anybody living in your home who can help you with this, alternative arrangements will be made by the City Council’s Neighbourhood Services. This is known as the Assisted Lift Service. The service is free and is available on either a short-term or a long-term basis.
If you wish to be considered for the Assisted Lift Service, contact Envirocall.
If you already have an Assisted Lift for your refuse collection, you will automatically receive this service for your recycling collection.
Last updated: October 27, 2020