Information Now

Getting advice about your landlord or housing issues

Whether you live in council property, rent from a private landlord, own your own home or live in sheltered accommodation, there are many agencies that can help you to deal with housing problems.

Local Organisations

Shelter North East has specialist advisers who provide free, confidential and expert advice to people who are experiencing housing problems. They can inform you of your legal rights, explain your options and provide advocacy to help you to liaise with landlords, local authority etc. They also offer a Multilingual Service.

Your Homes Newcastle helps YHN tenants to manage their tenancy. They can give advice on which benefits can be claimed, accessing furniture, advice on budgeting and debt and any other problems.

Citizens Advice Newcastle offer free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects including housing problems.

Northumbria University Student Law Office is a legal advice centre, where law students deal with cases under the supervision of qualified lawyers. They can offer free independent, confidential advice and representation in many areas of law including housing. They can only take on cases during the academic year, which is October to May.

Newcastle Private Rented Service provides free and confidential advice and support to the private housing sector, both landlords and tenants. The advertise properties, check references, and give advice on issues such as disrepair, rent arrears and anti-social behaviour.

Other Useful Information

The Housing Ombudsman Service looks at complaints about registered providers of social housing, for example housing associations, and other landlords, managers and agents. The service is free, independent and impartial.

Local Government Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities. It is a free service. If you have a problems with a council service you should first complain to the council, but if you are still not satisfied, they may be able to help. They can look at complaints about most council services including:

  • housing
  • planning
  • education
  • transport
  • environmental health
  • neighbourhood nuisance and anti-social behaviour
  • social care
  • council tax
  • housing benefit

Appeals and complaints to your local authority – factsheet from Age UK

Last updated: June 3, 2022

Scroll to the top of the page