Information Now

Getting repairs and decorating done

If you need repairs doing to your home, there is help available to you whether you are a home owner, council tenant or private tenant.  You can use the links below to jump the content that is most helpful to you.

Find reliable tradespeople online

You can use these websites to find a registered and competent tradespeople, electricians or gas engineers in your area.

  • Buy with confidence –  find businesses which have been vetted and approved by Trading Standards to ensure that they operate in a legal, honest and fair way.
  • Checked and Vetted– find vetted tradespeople online
  • Electrical Competent Person – find registered electricians
  • Gas Safe Register – find registered Gas Engineers
  • Local Heroes – a new website directory backed by British Gas.  They offer local tradesmen such as plumbers, and heating engineers but are trying to build their directory to include tilers and decorators.
  • is a website where you can find a reliable tradesperson near you to carry out work on your home.
  • TrustMark – find vetted and reliable tradespeople
  • Which? Trusted Traders – find builders, plumbers, gardeners or mechanics that have been assessed and checked by Which? trading standards professionals, before being endorsed.
  • Trust a Trader – find a reliable trader in your area and leave feedback

<Return to the top>

Getting repairs done for Your Homes Newcastle (Council) Tenants

Repairs Centre – Newcastle City Council can organise and carry out repairs to your home. Most repairs will be carried out within five working days but may take longer if specialist parts are needed.

Many council tenants believe that the council automatically insures their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage – this is not the case. Tenants are advised to take out household contents insurance either through a scheme arranged by Newcastle City Council or by making their own private arrangements.

Byker Community Trust carry out repairs for their tenants. You can report repairs online, email, in person or by phone. They are responsible for most repairs to your home. Some repairs are the tenants own responsibility, For example, if you lose your keys need new door locks, you will be charged for this work. They will tell you if you have to pay for your repair.

<Return to the top>

Getting repairs done – Private Tenants

If you need repairs doing to your home, your landlord is usually responsible for carrying out and paying for most general repairs and maintenance. However, you should check your tenancy agreement in case you are responsible for some repairs.

Housing Advice Centre or Shelter North East can provide someone to go through your tenancy agreement with you if you need help.

See Having problems with home maintenance for more information, including what to do if you’re having trouble getting your landlord to do the work.

<Return to the top>

Getting repairs done – Private Homeowners

Helping Hand through Newcastle City Council Home Improvement Team can provide homeowners on low incomes with low cost loans to help you carry out repairs or essential home improvements. if you are eligible for a loan, they will also help with the following:

  • Advice on how to carry out home maintenance, preventative and improvement works
  • Work out what the work may cost if a contractor is required, and to investigate the options for funding the work
  • Choose a suitable contractor and to get fair estimates for the work, and to manage the contractor while works are being carried out.
  • Decide whether staying put or moving home offers the better solution for your needs.

CareHub offers a local service to older people who need extra help around the home with small Maintenance jobs.

If you need some extra help to arrange a tradesperson, Checked and Vetted can offer more than the straightforward signposting via their hotline telephone service. For example they can:

  • contact the tradesmen on your behalf
  • arrange quotes
  • arrange for the most suitable tradesmen to do the job
  • and arrange any aftercare required.

<Return to the top>

Help with the cost of maintenance and repairs

There is help available if you are struggling to cover the cost of maintaining your home. Options may include local authority loans and grants, lifetime mortgages, private and charitable funding or a combination of these.

Helping Hand through Newcastle City Council Home Improvement Team, can provide homeowners on low incomes with advice and low cost loans to help them carry out repairs or essential home improvements.

If you own your property and are prepared to invest some of what it is worth to pay for the work, you may want to look at remortgaging or considering an equity release scheme.

<Return to the top>

Other Useful Information

Last updated: May 27, 2020