Council Tax Support

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is set by local councils to help pay for local services like policing and refuse collection. It applies to all domestic properties, including houses, bungalows, flats, maisonettes, mobile homes or houseboats, whether they are owned or rented.

Council Tax is worked out by your local council, which sets the rates for each year. The amount you have to pay depends on the value of your property and the current rates for your local council.

Am I eligible for Council Tax Support?

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are:

  • on income support or job seekers allowance
  • on a low income
  • employed or self employed
  • in receipt of pension credit

This will mean you will have some, or all, of your Council Tax paid for you. Council Tax Support is paid to you through a reduction of your Council Tax bill. Read more at Newcastle City Council website

How much Council Tax Support is available?

Everyone of working age who’s eligible for council tax support has to pay a contribution towards their council tax. This means they will pay the first 20% of their council tax before support can be received from the local authority.

There are some exceptions to this rule, for example severely disabled people and people eligible for Pension Credit may receive more support. For more information please visit Council Tax Reductions.

How can I apply for Council Tax Support?

You can apply for Council Tax Support at

Search Newcastle, a resource centre for older people in the West of Newcastle, run an advice drop-in where you can get help with council tax problems and completing application forms. The drop-in is open Monday to Friday, from 10am to 1pm.

How can I check my council tax rates?

MyAccount allows you to access your council tax, housing benefit and business rates online for free 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This is a secure online service for Newcastle residents and businesses.

You can use MyAccount to:
  • Check your account whenever you want
  • Get access to your bills and notifications securely
  • Get email alerts when new bills or notifications are issued
  • Notify Newcastle City Council immediately of any changes

Or alternatively contact Newcastle City Council: Council Tax Enquiries

Where can I get benefits advice?

You can get benefits advice from a local independent service. They can help guide you through the application process and explain how some benefits may impact upon another:

Other Useful Information

  • Money Advice Service provides online information on the full range of benefits that you may be entitled to.  This also includes where to find more help and advice.
  • Payment Exception Service was introduced as cheques are no longer used to pay state benefits and Pension credit. Information Now has more details on the service available to those unable to use bank accounts.
  • Discretionary Housing Payments – are additional payments available from Newcastle City Council that you can apply for if you are finding it difficult to pay your rent and already receive Housing Benefit.


Last updated: February 23, 2023