Disability North provides information and advice on all aspects of disability for disabled people, their families and carers. They can offer independent living support and advice on:
- aids and equipment
- employing care staff or a Personal Assistant
- managing your personal budget or direct payments
- disability related benefit advice, help with appeals and representation at tribunals
- advice and support upon leaving hospital
- radar key for accessible toilets
They have a demonstration area to show you: accessible ranges and items for kitchen, bathroom and shower, stairlifts, walkers, risers, wheelchairs and shoes.
They run the Ability North Project which is a three week health and fitness programme for disabled people.
This is a designated Safe Reporting Centre where people can report hate crime or hate incidents without having to contact the Police directly.
Disability North is a Wellbeing Hub. They’re a warm welcoming place to spend time in Newcastle. They offer a range of support such as hot drinks, free WIFI, place to charge your devices, information, advice and more. Visit Newcastle.gov.uk to see what’s available at this hub.
Disability North is commissioned by Newcastle City Council to provide the Direct Payment Support Service.