Information Now

Having problems with home maintenance?

If you own or rent your home and you’re having problems with repairs, damp, staying warm, electrics, rats, noisy neighbours or more, help is available. Problems may include;

  • Damp and mould
  • Broken boiler or radiators
  • Faulty electrics
  • Broken sinks/baths/showers
  • Leaking gutters
  • Drainage problems
  • Problems with rubbish or dog fouling
  • Poor doors/windows
  • Poor fire precautions
  • Noisy neighbours
  • Rats or pests

These types of living conditions can cause health problems if left untreated. There are some steps that you can take to help improve your living conditions.

If you own the property

You can pay for help to maintain your home and grounds.

Collecting clutter (or hoarding) can become and problem if it makes it difficult to

  • clean your house
  • heat your home
  • maintain or repair your house
  • move around your house
  • or if your belongings pose a fire risk

If you rent your house privately

There are a set of housing standards which rented properties must meet. You should contact your landlord to report any problems with your house, however if you have difficulties with this there is help available.

Public Safety and Regulation at Newcastle City Council have legal powers to make sure a landlord carries out repairs to a home to keep it in a safe condition. If the work is not carried out within a certain time limit they can then arrange for a tradesperson and charge the landlord for the work.

Housing Advice Centre can give you more information about your rights as a tenant.

If you rent property from the council

The Housing, Anti-Social Behaviour and Enforcement Team at Your Homes Newcastle can help with repairs and maintenance.

Housing Advice Centre can give you more information about your rights as a tenant.

Last updated: June 30, 2022

Scroll to the top of the page