Information Now

Your benefits while you are in hospital or in residential care

Some benefits can be affected when you go into hospital or into residential care. You should inform whoever pays the benefit beforehand so they can then make any necessary changes.

What should I do if I go into hospital or residential care?

  • You should tell whoever pays the benefit e.g. Jobcentre Plus, the Pension Service, HMRC or the council, the date of your admission before you go into hospital or residential care.
  • If you can’t do this, let them know as soon as possible afterwards.
  • Let the people paying the benefit know when you have returned home, even if no benefits were stopped while you were away.

Read the Benefits in Hospital factsheet from Disability Rights UK for a full list of benefits and how they are affected if you go into hospital.

Where can I get benefits advice?

It can be useful to speak with someone about the benefits you may be entitled to and how they may impact upon your other benefits. A local independent advice service can help you such as;

Visit for more benefit advice services available across Newcastle.

Other Useful Information

  • Money Advice Service provides online information on the full range of benefits that you may be entitled to.
  • Simple Payment Service was introduced as cheques are no longer used to pay state benefits and Pension credit.

Last updated: May 8, 2019

Send us a comment about this page

Before you go, please help us

    We will use this information to help improve InformationNOW. See our privacy policy for more details*