Information Now

Support for Asylum Seekers and Refugees

You are an Asylum Seeker if you have to leave your country to seek protection in another country such as the UK. If you are seeking protection to stay in the UK you need to apply for asylumRead more on our Immigration and asylum page.

Newcastle City Council is a recognised City of Sanctuary, committed to welcoming people seeking sanctuary and help to rebuild their lives. Read more about the asylum process in Newcastle on

Some services may have changed the support they offer or when they open because of Coronavirus.  Please check with the organisation before attending a session.  Read more about coronavirus in other languages on how to stay safe and stop the spread of coronavirus.

When claiming asylum in the UK there are local services that can help with:

While you wait for a decision about your claim for asylum, you may be able to access Asylum support to help with housing and benefits. If you have children, they will be able to attend free state school and you may be able to get free health treatment on the NHS.

If you are granted leave to stay in the country, you will then become recognised as refuges and given formal documentation. This means you may be given permission to stay in the UK for up to 5 years and you may be able to get a job. You may then be able to apply for further leave.

Legal advice

Registered immigration advisers

Immigration advisers help with things like: advice, filling in the right forms and representing you at a tribunal. Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates immigration advisers and make sure they meet certain standards. Find registered immigration advisers that give free advice you on the OISC website.

Local legal advice

North East Law Centre provides free, confidential legal advice on immigration and asylum issues to people in Newcastle. They offer legal aid and maybe able to help you if you are not eligible for legal aid.

Citizen’s Advice Newcastle (CAN) can give you free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects including benefits, housing, employment, legal matters, immigration and family and personal matters.

Where to get legal advice find more on InformationNOW

Return to top

Emotional and practical support

Newcastle Council Local Authority Asylum Liaison Officers (LAASLO) offer case work support to newly arrived asylum seekers and refugees who have been given a decision on their asylum claim.

The North of England Refugee Service support asylum seekers, refugees and people refused asylum with:

  • advice and support throughout all stages of the asylum process: This includes help to apply for asylum, welfare benefits, immigration, housing, education needs and employment skills and support during the claim process
  • integration service: supports people granted refugee status and leave to remain to help them rebuild lives in the UK
  • supported housing project: provides housing to people granted leave to remain, who are vulnerable and need support. This is short term housing and individualised support for up to 2 years and until clients can move on from supported housing to independent living
  • training and employment: as sessional interpreters to provide interpreting and translation services
  • English language classes (ESOL): all levels welcome
  • support destitute asylum seekers when applying for ‘section 4 support,’ the support available if you are a refused asylum seeker

Newcastle City Library and Community Hub is a Library of Sanctuary, which means it’s a safe space for refugees and asylum seekers to visit. It provides free access to services including:

  • computer and Internet
  • community language resources
  • family activities
  • staff to support interactions with local housing providers and council services
  • a hub of information and support by Citizens Advice during drop in sessions,
  • Skills Hub supporting employment opportunities
  • Your Homes Newcastle drop in sessions
  • dedicated Library of Sanctuary books to lend

The West End Refugee Service (WERS) is a registered charity working with refugees and asylum seekers living in the West End of Newcastle. Their services include:

  • advice sessions
  • counselling service
  • home visits
  • befriending scheme
  • free clothing store
  • emergency hardship fund
  • case work support
  • welfare support and cash payments for destitute asylum seekers
  • Skills Match where you can find volunteering opportunities in Newcastle that match your skills, experiences and interests
  • Drop in sessions on:
    • Mondays 9.30am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm
    • Tuesdays 9.30am to 1pm
    • Wednesdays 11am to 1pm and 2pm to 4pm
    • Thursdays 9.30am to 1pm
    • Fridays 9.30am to 1pm

Action Foundation run drop in sessions Tuesdays and Thursdays at Castlegate, Melbourne Street, 11pm to 2pm for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants. They also offer English classes, supported housing and a hosting scheme where volunteers invite an asylum seeker to stay with them in their home. They work with partners to signpost you to other help and support.

Angelou Centre provides women only support for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) women. This includes:

  • information and advice
  • counselling
  • supporting survivors of Honour Based Violence, Forced Marriage, 21st Century Slavery, Domestic Abuse and Trafficking
  • access to computers
  • English as a second language courses (ESOL)
  • personal development support
  • women’s café and cookery club
  • older women’s group
  • children With Disabilities Free Expression Club
  • supporting BAME children survivors of Domestic Abuse
  • training and employment support
  • social and creative activities

Freedom from Torture help asylum seekers and refugees who have survived torture recover and rebuild their lives in the UK. Through specialist psychological therapy they can help with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder, nightmares, flashbacks, complex trauma, depression and other mental health needs. They also offer creative group activities like music and gardening, social groups and physical therapy.

They also offer practical information and advice on accessing housing and healthcare. Interpreters are available to translate for therapy sessions. They provide training for professionals working with torture survivors.

African Community Advice North East (ACANE) supports African refugees and asylum seekers living in the North East of England. They provide

  • advocacy
  • information and advice
  • a drop in service
  • occasional activities and training courses at the weekend
  • afterschool club for young people with free access to IT, internet, table football and art & craft. Monday to Friday 3pm to 5pm

The Hub at Westgate Baptist Church run a weekly asylum seeker and refugee drop in session on Tuesdays 3.30pm to 6pm. Helping asylum seekers to settle into life in the UK. Providing advice about your rights, emergency support for homeless and destitute asylum seekers, including showers and food.

JET (Jobs, employment and training) support people to prepare for employment. They work with the BME (Black Minority Ethnic) community, asylum seekers, refugees and New Migrant communities to find work, improve their skills and to integrate with their neighbours. This includes training, help with job searching, applications, CVs and finding work experience. They also offer women only integration sessions.

British Red Cross support refugees with: case work, tracing and reuniting families and welfare support for destitute or refused asylum seekers.

Justice and Peace (Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle) run drop in sessions for asylum seekers and refugees on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 11am to 1.45pm where food, clothes and shoes are available. They have a hardship fund for destitute asylum seekers. They run English language classes.

Rainbow Home support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender asylum seekers and those granted leave to remain but are unsettled.

Riverside Community Health Project offer migrant support, training, volunteering, English language classes, children’s activities, outreach, parenting support, activities.

Peace of Mind Communities run projects to help refugees and asylum seekers. Their projects include:

  • weekly advice drop in session Wednesdays 12.30pm to 2pm. For a chat with friends and volunteers with tea or coffee
  • a small dedicated fund to help destitute refugees and asylum seekers in emergencies
  • help to fill the holiday gap with activities and refreshments for children and carers during the holidays
  • occasional training sessions such as parenting or community safety
  • Bensham Community Food Co-op

St James’s Church run a drop in for asylum seekers and refugees Tuesdays and Thursdays 1pm to 4pm.

IKWRO provides advice and support to Middle Eastern and Afghan women and girls living in the UK who are facing Forced Marriage, Child Marriage, “Honour” Based Violence, Female Genital Mutilation and Domestic Violence. They offer advice in Farsi, Dari, Kurdish, Arabic, Turkish, Pashto and English and run a free counselling service in Farsi, Kurdish, Arabic and English.

Food Support

Visit our pages on InformationNOW for more on:


NHS Healthy Start Scheme is for people who are pregnant or have children under the age of 4, who receive certain benefits. You can get free vouchers or payments every 4 weeks to spend on: milk, fruit and vegetables. You can also get free vitamins. People who don’t have recourse to public funds can now apply to the Healthy Start Scheme

The Healthy Start scheme has been extended temporarily during the coronavirus to British children (aged under 4), whose parent/guardian meet the financial eligibility criteria and are excluded from claiming public funds as a consequence of their immigration status, or their lack of immigration status. To qualify you must:

  • have a child, or more than one child, under 4 years old
  • your family’s take-home pay is less than £408 per month; and
  • you’re excluded from claiming public funds because of your immigration status or lack of immigration status

Email if you think you meet these criteria and DHSC will be in touch to discuss the application process.

Free school meals

Free school meals The government has temporarily extended free school meals to families with no recourse to public funds during the coronavirus pandemic. They are available to children whose parents receive certain benefits and are at:

  • government funded schools, full time, up to the age of 19,
  • or in a nursery class or nursery school and attending for full days.

Find out if you’re eligible for free school meals and how to apply on

Return to top

Housing support

If you have claimed asylum and are awaiting a decision you can apply for financial support and housing from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) which is part of the Home Office.

The council is not responsible for placing or accommodating asylum seekers. Mears is the housing provider for the North East. Contact Migrant Help if you have any issues with housing or financial support.

If you have a positive decision on your asylum claim and receive refugee leave or some other form of leave to remain, you are required to leave your asylum accommodation. You should receive 28 days’ notice of the date that you must leave. The teams below will help you to move on from your accommodation:

  • Asylum Team at Newcastle City Council support people during the asylum process. They support the ‘move on’ process if you are granted refugee status. They offer advice and signposting if you are refused asylum.
  • Your Homes Newcastle Refugee Move On Team contact new refugees when you receive leave to remain. They help you find accommodation, access benefits and training and employment opportunities.

Action Letting let properties to newly granted single refugees at risk of homelessness. Helping people access private rented housing in flexible and affordable ways

Action Foundation run projects to help destitute asylum seekers:

  • Action Hosting: volunteers offer a spare room in their home to destitute asylum seeker to provide short-term accommodation
  • Action Housing: supported accommodation for destitute asylum seekers with no recourse to public funds

Night Stop North East gives homeless young people, aged 16 to 25, a place to stay in a trained volunteers’ home for the night. This emergency accommodation for is arranged on a night by night basis.
Young people receive a private room, warm meal and somewhere safe to stay for the night, while Depaul UK look for a more permanent solution.

Return to top

Accessing health services


GP services

Free prescriptions

Safe Surgeries


Non urgent medical advice

Walk-in or Urgent Treatment centres

Emergency Services: Ambulance

Accident and Emergency department (A&E)



NHS Screening programmes

Mental health and emotional wellbeing

Mental health emergency or crisis support

Maternity Services

Paying for health services

Support to improve your health

Drugs and alcohol

Sexual health

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)


If you are unable to speak or understand English well, you are entitled to have an interpreter at NHS services. Say ‘interpreter’ to the receptionist and the language you need. When ringing 999 or NHS 111, say the language you need and they will get someone on the phone. This is a free service.

Return to list

NHS GP services

You and your family need to register at a local doctor called a GP. Anyone can register at a GP for free. You need to make an appointment. You may need to wait unless it is urgent. If you need an urgent appointment tell the receptionist.

If your GP decides you need medicine, they will give you a prescription. To get your medicine, take the prescription to a pharmacy

Your GP can refer you to a specialist at a hospital. If eligible, your GP can provide a range of free immunisations to protect against certain diseases

Doctors of the World’s latest addition to the range of accessible, translated information resources about the Covid-19 Vaccine: ‘How to register with a GP and book a vaccine’ animation. This animation illustrates 11 steps explaining how everybody can register with a GP without the need for documentation, and how to book vaccine appointments. The animation has been translated into 12 languages including Spanish, Albanian, Arabic, Romanian, Simplified Chinese, Polish and Portuguese and is now available on their website. It will be available in 23 languages in the next couple of weeks.
The Government announced booster vaccines could be offered to the most vulnerable from September 2021 onwards. This means it’s really important for everyone to be registered with a GP so that those who are clinically extremely vulnerable are identified and offered a booster vaccination.

Return to list

Free prescriptions with a HC2 certificate

If you are receiving asylum support, you should have an HC2 certificate which allows you and your dependants to get free prescriptions, free dental care, eye tests and spectacles. If you do not have an HC2, you need to fill in an HC1 form. If you need help with these forms, contact West End Refugee Service (WERS) or North England Refugee Service (NERS).

Return to list

Safe Surgeries Newcastle

Safe Surgeries are GP practices that are safe for everyone to use. You can register as a patient if you do not have proof of your: identification, address or immigration status or speak another language. They display posters so that you know the surgery is a safe place. Interpreters can be used if needed. For more information contact Doctors of the World UK

Return to list


A Pharmacy (chemist) provides prescription and non-prescription medicine and advice. Some pharmacists are trained to give help with emergency contraception and sexual health.

Return to list

Non urgent medical advice from NHS 111

NHS 111 give medical advice over the phone. It is open 24 hours a day. If you do not need to see a GP, they will give you general advice or refer you to a pharmacy. They can book an appointment for you at your GP or Walk-in centre. If it is an emergency they will refer you to A&E and can arrange an ambulance.

Return to list

Walk-in or Urgent Treatment centres

You can use these for minor injuries or urgent care. You do not need an appointment to be seen:

Return to list

Emergency Services: Ambulance

Call 999 (free) if there has been a serious accident or if you or someone else is:

  • bleeding a lot
  • finding it hard to breathe
  • feeling severe pain in the chest
  • showing signs of stroke including sudden
  • weakness on one side of the body/face
  • unconscious

Return to list

NHS Accident and Emergency department (A&E)

A&E is based in hospitals for people who are very ill or seriously hurt, and should only be used in an emergency. You can arrive at any time at A&E and you may have to wait to be seen depending on how ill you are and how busy they are. Appointments are not needed and they are free to use for everyone.

Royal Victoria Infirmary, Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle, entrance on Richardson Road. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Return to list

NHS Dentists

You need to register for free with an NHS Dentist for any treatment to your teeth. Children receive free dental care and adults may have to pay for some treatment. Find out if you can get help to pay for NHS health costs here.

Visit the NHS.UK or the Newcastle Gateshead CCG websites to search for a list of your local dentists. If you can’t find a dentist accepting NHS patients, you should call NHS England’s Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

Return to list


You need to make an appointment with an optician to get your eyes checked. If you have an HC2 form you will get eye tests free, your optician will tell you if you need to pay extra for some products.

Return to list

NHS Screening programmes

Screening helps find diseases like cancer and is free for those with HC2 forms. If you get a letter about screening it is important you arrange to have this done. You will be offered screenings:

  • cervical cancer for women aged 25 to 65
  • breast cancer for women aged 50 to 70
  • bowel cancer for men and women aged 60 to 74

Return to list

Mental health and emotional wellbeing

Are you feeling low, anxious, stressed or worried? Finding it difficult to cope or not sleeping well? Contact your GP for an appointment. They will give you advice and refer you for more support from services.
You can contact the following mental health services for help:

Newcastle Talking Helps is for people in Newcastle who have mental health difficulties. Ask your GP for a referral  or fill out an online referral here.

MIND can help if you’re experiencing mental health problems or going through a difficult time in your life. They can help you live the best life you can, whatever challenges you face.

Samaritans offer a safe, listening ear if you are in distress. Call their free helpline 24 hours a day . You don’t have to be suicidal to use their helpline or text 07725 909090.

Return to list

Mental health emergency or crisis support

If you are hurt or at immediate risk you call 999.

Mental health services 24 hour support read more about getting help with a mental health problem outside normal working hours.

Crisis resolution and home based treatment team Newcastle and Gateshead can help with your urgent mental health needs. The team of mental health professionals offer assessment and home treatment .You can contact them 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Return to list

NHS Maternity Services

Maternity care is free for all asylum seekers, refugees and refused asylum seekers receiving Home Office support. Maternity care is classed as immediately necessary and urgent and should never be withheld. Speak to your GP surgery to book an appointment with a midwife.

Maternity Action operate The Maternity Care Access Advice Service which provides telephone and email advice and online information to help women get the maternity care they need, and to help women to understand and challenge charges for NHS care.

Return to list

Paying for health services

Doctors of the World UK can help if you have receive a bill or you need advice about whether you may be charged for a health service.

Maternity Action can help if it’s related to maternity costs telephone 0808 802 0029

Return to list

Support to improve your health

Healthworks Newcastle can support you to improve your health. They can help you to stop smoking, exercise, learn to cook and support with breastfeeding. They have 2 venues:

Return to list

Drugs and alcohol

Change, Grow, Live help adults and young people in Newcastle with drug and alcohol problems to reduce their use or stop using safely.

Return to list

Sexual health

New Croft NHS Sexual Health Clinic provides free and confidential sexual health services. For more information:

Return to list

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT)

Rainbow Home provides support for LGBT asylum seekers and refugees in North East England.

Return to top of page

English classes

English as a second language (ESOL) classes can help you to learn the English language. There are a range of classes available in Newcastle.

Name What’s available How to access
Action Language ran by Action Foundation

Address: CastleGate, Melbourne Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 2JQ

Telephone: 0191 231 3113



English courses in Newcastle

Childcare: Not available

Enrolment 12pm to 1.30pm every Tuesday.

ID details required at enrolment.

Who can use the service: Open to anyone not attending college classes.

Cost: Free

Newcastle City Learning Citywide

Address: Westgate College, Westgate Road, NE4 9LU

Telephone: 0191 277 3520



English as a second language (ESOL) Service:

Learn English reading, writing, speaking and listening. Includes language and skills required for everyday life, work and citizenship.

Qualifications: from Entry 1 to Level 2.

You can enrol each term for classes at all levels.

Who can use the service: adults who don’t speak English and who plan to settle in the UK including people:

  • who have lived in the UK for over 3 years
  • with indefinite leave to remain
  • asylum seekers who have been in the UK for 6 month
  • refugees
  • members of the EEC Economic area

Cost: Free

Newcastle College

Address: Rye Hill Campus, Scotswood Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 5BR

Telephone: 0191 200 4000



English as a second language (ESOL) Service:

Learn English reading, writing, speaking and listening. Includes maths, language and skills required for everyday life, work and citizenship.

Qualifications: from beginner to advanced.

Places are subject to eligibility. For example, asylum seekers who have lived in the UK for 6 months

Who can use the service: all levels welcome

16 to 18 year olds can study ESOL full time

Adults can apply to study a range of free classes

Cost: Free


Address: Newcastle University Students’ Union, NE1 8QB


Telephone: 0191 239 3900

Learn English conversation, speaking, listening and writing. Range of taught classes, English conversation and creative sessions.

Classes available on Saturday and Sunday. They offer some outreach sessions.

Trips and outings for learners throughout the year.

Childcare: No creche but children can take part in activities.

Who can use the service: all welcome. Children must be accompanied by an adult

Cost: free

The Angelou Centre

Address: The Angelou Centre, NE4 5NR



Tel: 0191 226 0394

Weekly English conversation café every Wednesday morning.

ESOL classes

Childcare: crèche sometimes available. Ask if it’s available each term.

Who can use the service: women only

Cost: free

JET (Jobs, Employment and Training)

Address: 81 Adelaide Terrace, NE4 8BB



Tel: 0191 273 5761


English as a second Language service:

Wednesday mornings 9.30am to 12pm: Pre Entry and Entry Level 1 ESOL at Newcastle Central Mosque, Grainger Park Road

Childcare: No crèche available

Thursday afternoons 1pm to 3pm: Integration Project runs on at Robert Stewart URC Church on Wingrove Road (opposite Sara’s clothes shop).

Childcare: Crèche available

Who can use the service: adults

Cost: free

North of England Refugee Service

Address: 1 Charlotte Square (rear), NE1 4XF



Tel: 0191 245 7301

English Classes:

Beginners and all levels:

  • Mondays 10.30am to 12.30pm
  • Thursdays 2pm to 4pm

Advanced level: Wednesdays 1pm to 4pm

Who can attend: adults

No eligibility or commitment required

First Step

Address: 435 Westgate Road, NE4 8RN


Tel: 0191 226 1213

English classes for women. Who can attend: women only

Contact them for more information about enrolment.

Multi Lingual Library

Address: Upper Level, Eldon Garden, Percy Street, NE1 7RA

Tel: 0777 668 4940

English conversation class every Tuesday at 4pm. Who can attend: open to all

Cost: free

Byker Sands Family Centre

Address: 19 Raby Cross, Byker, NE6 2FF

Tel: 0191 275 9636



English language courses:

Entry level  and level 1 course: Tuesday 12.30pm to 2.30pm.

Childcare: creche available.

Who can attend: open to all, subject to availability and eligibility.

Cost: free

Heaton Baptist Church

Address: Heaton Road , NE6 5HN

English conversation classes

Thursdays 4.30pm to 6.30pm

Who can attend: open to all

Cost: free

Justice and Peace (Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle) 

Address: Our Lady of Lourdes Deaf Centre, 2 Summerhill Grove, Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6EE

Phone: 07427 838813

English conversation classes:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 11.30am to 12.30pm

Who can attend: open to all

Cost: free

Brunswick Methodist Church

Address: Brunswick Methodist Church, NE1 7BJ


Contact: Sarah Ahmadi 0786 564 6667

English entry 1 only

Mondays 10am to 2.30pm

Who can attend: refugees and people with permission to work

Cost: free

Northumbria University

Address:  Room 450, 4th Floor, Northumberland Building, Northumbria University, NE1 8SG

Contact: 07712169328 or 07502222045

English conversation classes

Thursdays 5.30pm to 7.30pm

Who can attend: open to all

Cost: free

Newcastle College

Address: Teaching Development Centre, George Street, NE4 7JL

Tel: 0191 200 4000



Free English classes

Entry level 2 classes from 8th October 2019.

Tuesdays 12.15pm to 3.15pm (attend when you can).

The teachers are on a teacher training course.

Who can attend: open to all

Cost: free

International House

Address: Room 9 at International House Newcastle, 7-15 Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4SG

Tel: 0191 232 9551



Free English classes

Upper level (B2) classes from 7th October to 20th December. Monday to Friday 2pm to 4pm.

The classes are given for free by people who are learning to teach English.

Who can attend: open to all

Cost: free

The Chinese Centre

Address: 117 Westgate Road, NE1 4AG

Tel: 0191 230 3158 or 07856 295 987


Accredited English as a second language (ESOL) classes

Entry level 1 to Level 2

Fast track learning with online resources.

Who can attend: anyone eligible for adult education funding who is not accessing other education provision

Cost: free

Newcastle International School

Address: Northumberland House, NE1 8ER

Tel: 0191 435 1014


Free support classes

English Conversation Class

English for Work class

Who can attend: contact for more information and eligibility

Women only classes are available

Cost: free

Social and physical activity

Active Newcastle offers a range of social and fitness activities, including walking groups, across the city.

Fitness activities page on InformationNOW has a full list of all of gyms and leisure centres in Newcastle. There is a cost for these services.

Find local swimming pools and leisure centres in Newcastle 

Events and activities can be found on InformationNOW. Search the calendar to find out what’s happening near you. Some activities are free or low cost.

The Comfrey Project works with refugees and asylum seekers on allotment sites across Newcastle and Gateshead. You can get involved in gardening to help improve your wellbeing.

North East Solidarity and Teaching (NEST) runs free sessions 7 days a week including holistic provision of English language tuition and a program of community integration activities including arts, sports and field trips.

Crossings Community Group is a music making and learning group. They meet most Monday evenings. They have a choir, an open music jam session, guitar learning, violin learning and children’s choir.  With opportunities to learn and perform. It is free and open to everyone.

Angelou Centre provides support for w  Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) women. This includes:

  • women’s cafe and cookery club
  • older women’s group
  • children With Disabilities Free Expression Club
  • social and creative activities

Newcastle United Foundation run community football matches on Wednesdays 1pm to 3pm at SoccerWorld for unemployed people, refugees and migrants aged 18 to 29 years. It includes an employability support drop in.

Curious Monkey’s Arriving project is a group for refugees and asylum seekers to do creative activities together. They do drama workshops, performing together and learning new skills, have online Zoom socials to catch up and practice English. They go to the theatre together once a month. They always have food together.  Help with travel costs is also available. They meet in Newcastle city centre for our workshops and go to different theatres across the city on our theatre trips.

Return to top

Benefits advice

Citizen’s Advice Newcastle (CAN) give you free, confidential, impartial and independent advice and information on a wide range of subjects including benefits, housing, employment, legal matters, immigration and family and personal matters.

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service give telephone benefits advice to people in certain groups living in Newcastle. They have self help material on their website and run drop in advice sessions for people living in west Newcastle.

Return to top

Employment Support

Supported Employment Service at Newcastle City Council helps refugees find and stay in work.  They help you to think about your career goals and how to achieve them. Support includes help to:

  • understand existing skills and how they are useful to the jobs market
  • write a CV and apply for jobs online
  • get ready for interviews
  • choose and gain qualifications
  • ongoing help to stay in work
  • work experience placements in grounds maintenance and gardening at Natures Landscapes and catering at FoodWorks

They also offer advice to employers on:

  • disability employment
  • organising interview candidates for your organisation
  • skills tests

Newcastle United Foundation run community football matches for unemployed people, refugees and migrants aged 18 to 29 years. It includes an employability support drop in.

JET (Jobs Education and Training) work with the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities across Newcastle to provide support into training and employment. This is done through one to one support from an experienced, qualified advisor. JET offers a range of support helping you to take the next step including:

  • English and Maths support (ESOL)
  • building your confidence and wellbeing
  • helping you searching for jobs, training, and volunteering opportunities
  • improve your interview and presentation skills

Refused or destitute asylum seekers

If your application for asylum is not successful you may be refused asylum. You may be at risk of homelessness or destitution.

You can still apply for short-term support if you’ve been refused asylum and are preparing to leave the UK.

Asylum Team at Newcastle City Council offer advice and signposting if you receive a negative decision on your asylum claim.


Practical support for refused asylum seekers

The West End Refugee Service (WERS) support destitute asylum seekers in the West end of Newcastle. They can help with:

  • advice sessions
  • counselling service
  • befriending scheme
  • free clothing
  • emergency hardship fund
  • case work support
  • welfare support and cash payments for destitute asylum seekers

North East Refugee Service (NERS)support destitute asylum seekers when applying for ‘section 4 support’. This is the support available if you are a refused asylum seeker.

British Red Cross can give short term cash payments to people experiencing destitution throughout the asylum process. For example, if your Aspen card or benefits are delayed, while you wait for a decisions on section 4 application or a new claim for asylum. Support includes, cash payments for up to 12 weeks, travel tickets for Home office appointments and one off maternity payments for women.

The Hub at Westgate Baptist Church run a weekly asylum seeker and refugee drop in session on Tuesdays at 3.30pm. Providing advice about your rights, emergency support for homeless and destitute asylum seekers, including showers and food.

Action Foundation run projects to help destitute asylum seekers:

  • Action Hosting: volunteers offer a spare room in their home to destitute asylum seeker to provide short-term accommodation
  • Action Housing: supported accommodation for destitute asylum seekers with no recourse to public funds

Health services for refused asylum seekers

Refused asylum seekers, even if homeless or destitute, may be charged for some health care. You can still use for free:

  • register with a GP
  • Accident and Emergency services (A&E), including Walk-in or Urgent Treatment centres
  • NHS 111 telephone advice line
  • treatment for specific infectious diseases and sexually transmitted infections (e.g. TB, HIV)
  • treatment required for a physical or mental condition caused by: torture; FGM; domestic violence or sexual violence
  • health visitors, school nurses and family planning
  • end of life care

Return to top

How to donate to charities supporting refugees and asylum seekers

Charities rely on donations of money or essential items to provide support to those who need it. You can find more information on each charity’s website if you would like to donate.

Appeal for donations for Afghan Refugees in Newcastle

West End Refugee Service (WERS) and N.E.S.T are making care packs for newly arrived male asylum seekers. To help you can donate money to the WERS Hardship Fund.

St Vincent’s Centre are collecting donations of food and toiletries at their Centre. You can donate money online. You can send them an online food deliveries Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm (3pm on a Friday). Visit their Facebook page to see which items they need. You can also donate supermarket e gift vouchers.

Peace of Mind are collecting donations for the creation of welcome packs for Afghan refugees, to make their arrival as comfortable as possible.

The services listed on this page are provided by organisations independent to the council. We update this information regularly, but opening times and availability can change. Before attending a session we recommend you check it is running and that you’re eligible to receive the service. Some services are only for adults or rough sleepers. Please note there may be a limit to the number of times you can access a service due to high demands in Newcastle. You can read more about InformationNOW’s Terms and Conditions.


The accessing health services information above was taken from the Newcastle Health Access Card (first edition October 2018) developed Public Health, Newcastle City Council in partnership with the Regional Refugee Forum and Connected Voice HAREF

Information about English language classes and drop in support was provided by Newcastle City of Sanctuary.

Last updated: November 18, 2021